Friday, December 26, 2014

Interracial dating/marriage has occurred often in my family (military brat), so I never saw anything different about dating someone who wasn't black. Of course, that isn't always the case with others. Anyone, I would like to hear the stories of other black ladies/men who are in interracial relationships. What are the highlights and woes that you face?
My Boyfriend [23] and I [F/22] have been together for a year and a half, although we were hooking up before we made it official. We have known each other since my freshman year of college (his sophomore) but we didn't start hooking up/dating until I was a junior (and we graduated together). We were in the same fiend circle and went to the same parties but barely spoke to each other. Finally, he randomly told me to add him on Skype over Winter break, and things just kind of went from there. He chase me for three mints until I finally gave in. We made it official the day after my birthday in August. Funny enough, I am his first black girlfriend (not his first interracial relationship) while he isn't my first white boyfriend. I live our contrast. I am obviously black, dark hair, big brown eyes; he is pale, blonde haired, blue eyed male of Irish/Scottish/Danish descent. Still, we complement each other so well. He is my best friend. To our many friends, they love us together. We are no strangers to odd looks and whispers though. My boyfriend is more acutely aware of these and has in the past gotten into arguments with complete stranger (and sometimes acquaintances). The biggest issue we face though has more to do with his family than anything. While my family embraces this with open arms, his family (minus his most immediate members), are still warming up to it. I have high hopes that at some point, it won't even be an issue as I seem him as a large part of my future.
A funny thing: My boyfriend is in love with my curly hair. He will ask me to wear it out all the time and loves to play with the curls. He says it's me at my most natural and beautiful state, which has helped me to adore my own hair.
Here we are together celebrating our anniversary in September 2012 at a Bruce Springsteen concert in Jersey.(www.meetinterracialwomen.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment